Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I Miss New York!

Okay, I'm not ashamed to say it, I miss New York! I know that in two weeks I am probably going to say that I wish I was back here in Prague, but for now, I miss New York!

Here is just a sampling (in no particular order) of the top ten meals that I miss the most!

1. Pommes Frites
Any New Yorker knows that the best french fries in the city come from Pommes Frites on Second Ave. While I do love the Poutine (cured Canadian Cheddar cheese covered with chicken gravy), I generally just get a large ($6.25) with one of the following sauces: Rosemary Garlic Mayo, Sun-Dried Tomato Mayo, Pomegranate Teriyaki Mayo, Parmesan Peppercorn, or my personal favorite (and the most boring selection) Cheddar Cheese. Go after a long night at Asian Pub!

2. Sugar Sweet Sunshine
Sexy Red Velvet (Red velvet cake with “The Moose,” which is their homemade Satin Buttercream). There was a point during the spring semester when I was eating several of them, each and every day. They're fabulous. Get them. Eat them. Love them. Tell Magnolia to fuck off. Enough said. And they're only $1.50 each! AH!

3. S'MAC
Easily New York City's best macaroni and cheese. It's divine. Fantastic. Orgasmic. What else can I say? I love it! I always get the same thing, which needs to change. I seriously need to be more open, but I love my usual so much: the Cheeseburger, which has Cheddar and American cheeses combined with seasoned Ground Beef. Get it with breadcrumbs. And it's so cheap! There are four sizes for all of their dishes: Nosh ($6.25), Major Munch ($9.75), Mongo ($17.00), and Partay ($41.00). Try it!

4. Chipotle
It's not chic. But I crave Chipotle on a weekly basis. I've tried almost everything that they offer, and have found my favorite: the Salad, with Romaine lettuce, vegetarian black beans, braised carnitas (pulled pork), guacamole, pico, and cheese, topped with their fabulous Chipotle-Honey vinaigrette, which is an amazing combination of sweet and spicy, which compliments the salty pork perfectly.

5. Pinkberry
Initially, I totally hated Pinkberry. I was like, ew, this is stupid. When I want frozen yogurt, I don't want it to taste like plain yogurt. But all of that changed. Everyone was constantly going there and so finally I decided to give it a try, and it was outstanding. My favorite? Original with raspberries, strawberries and chocolate chips.

6. The Spotted Pig
New York's best gastropub, and home to my favorite cheeseburger in New York: the Spotted Pig Burger ($17). It's a thick, juicy, chargrilled piece of meat, topped with Roquefort, and served with shoestring potatoes. SO GOOD! Also, I highly recommend either the Deviled Eggs or the Marinated Olives.

7. All About Food
It may not be glamorous, but I love going to All About Food for lunch. I always get one of two things... Option A: a mixed green salad with grilled chicken, carrots, kidney beans and feta cheese, topped with their very own Vinaigrette. Option B: penne with grilled chicken and prosciutto in the vodka sauce. Both are amazing. Both are cheap. Both come with garlic bread. And they deliver anywhere. Enough said.

8. Risotteria
New York's best gluten-free restaurant (to be honest, it could be New York's only gluten free place, but I actually have no clue). They make some of the world's best risotto. It's light. It's warm and creamy. Delicious. Filling. Fabulous. I never know what to order because everything looks so amazing. But here is a random sampling of my favorites: baby lettuce salad with mozzarella, tomatoes and asparagus; Arborio risotto (made w/ chicken stock) with porcini mushrooms; Arborio with shrimp, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes; or Carnaroli risotto (also w/ chicken stock) with Italian sausage and portobello.

9. Miyabi
Absolutely fabulous Japanese restaurant right near Washington Square Park. I initially went there with my love Bryna O'Neill, and at first I was not too happy. It is down the street from the West 4th Street subway entrance on West 3rd. Looks a little 'eh' from the outside, but it is divine. And they have the BEST salmon teriyaki ever, for less than $14... and it comes with amazing Miso soup. Whenever I go with Bryna, we always end up splitting shrimp or beef Gyoza. Yum!

10. Cafetasia
Cafetasia has my all time favorite lunchtime special! And it's so cheap! For only $7 you get a small plate and a large plate. Again, I always get the same exact thing. Over and over again. It's just so amazing. Although, I must admit that the last time that I had my usual small plate, I felt so sick eating it because I had had them six times in one week. For the small plate: the Petite Cheese and Crab Stick Rangoon, served with a spicy tomato sauce. Large plate: the Chicken with Cashews, served with stir-fried chicken, onion, pepper, celery, and cashews coated in a roasted chili paste.

And one more honorable mention....

11. 'wichcraft
One of my favorite sandwiches in the entire world comes from 'wichcraft. I would put this higher on my list... however, every time that I go there, they never seem to have it on their menu. And if they do, they always say that they're out of something. So, normally I'm disappointed when I go there. But when I go and they have it, I just die! What am I referring to? The French Onion Soup Sandwich... also known as the Grilled Gruyère. It's a sandwich with Gruyère and caramelized onions that is served on toasted rye bread. A-MAZINGGGGG!

Well, in two days I will be in the United States. And in about ten days I will be moving back to my apartment in New York! AHHHHHHH! I cannot wait!

I miss you, New York!

No comments: