Sunday, December 14, 2008

Grosseto v. Overtime - Prague

Pizzeria Grosseto or Pizza Overtime?

There are two very similar Italian restaurants near my home in Vinohrady, and I am never sure which one I like better...

Let me break them both down! One thing however that I should definitely mention, which applies to both restaurants: the pizza is just blah. Especially if you compare them to Tacconelli's.

First of all, there is Pizzeria Grosseto near Náměstí Míru. It's a fun restaurant with a great atmosphere and it's awesome for people watching. Tiny but vibrant.

Here is what I always get:

Zuppa di pomodori
48 Kč
I have to say that this could quite possibly be the BEST tomato soup that I have ever had. It's like drinking tomato sauce that's been thinned out with cream and chicken stock. That may not sound too appealing, but it is to die for.

Penne con rucola e pomodori
135 Kč
Oh my god, I don't even know where to begin! First, a description: penne with sun-dried tomatoes, rucola, fresh basil and slices of Parmesan in a garlicy-olive oil sauce. The combination of the rucola and the sun-dried tomatoes, with the sharp Parm is refreshing and light. Get it! It really is one of my all time favorite pasta dishes, and you know what? I'm going to get it tomorrow for dinner!

In general, Pizzeria Grosseto is a great place, and the bread and butter (with tiny pepper slices in a garlicy butter) is out of this world. Negatives: slow service, and they don't refill your bread.

Okay, on to Pizza Overtime, which is just two or three blocks away from Grosseto. Again, the pizza isn't that amazing. It's equally as good as Grosseto... it is however cheaper, which is why I think Grosseto is a better pizza option.

Favorite dish?

Fusilli al Pesto con pollo
115 Kč
For those of you who do not speak Italian, or even restaurant Italian, let me break it down for you: Fusilli is the small, thick, corkscrew shaped pasta, and at Overtime, they serve it with small slices of chicken, and cover it with a pesto-olive oil sauce, and then they add slices of Parmesan on top. They are a little too excessive with the pesto-olive oil, but it's damn good. And fairly addicting. I find myself thinking about it often.

I like that Pizzeria Overtime is small and quaint, and the staff is ALWAYS friendly and attentive, but I not extremely impressed by their menu choices. And don't get the tomato soup unless you like tomato sauce soup. But their butter is equally as delicious as Grosseto (mixed with garlic and chives, yummy!)

I'm not really sure which restaurant I like better. When it comes to the atmosphere, I think I prefer Pizzeria Grosseto because it is more spacious and it is always filled with strange characters -- and people watching is VERY important! When it comes to food, I would again say Pizzeria Grosseto. However, I cannot bring myself to say that I like it better than Overtime because, well, I just don't. Know what I mean? Yeah.

No comments: