Sunday, June 14, 2009

Brunch A: Vento

Enjoyable, but satisfactory. Those two words describe my recent experience at Vento Trattoria in New York's Meatpacking District.

On one end, the atmosphere at Vento was excellent. Its prime location in the Meatpacking District offers fantastic people-watching along the street, especially during warm weather. Last Saturday when I was there, the weather was perfect. Sunny, but a few clouds overhead kept the temperature from reaching uncomfortable levels.

Now onto the cuisine. Vento is actually one of the few Italian words that I am familiar with. It means wind. And let's just say that the food at Vento Trattoria did not blow me away.

Between the two of us, we ordered two dishes. For some reason, I've always had a sensitive stomach in the morning, so I went with my stereotypical brunch selection: the Classic Benedict ($12). Just your average Eggs Benedict: an English muffin, topped with Canadian bacon, poached eggs, and Hollandaise sauce. Don't get me wrong, it was tasty, and it did its intended trick -- to soothe the effects of a night's carousing -- but it did not sweep me off my feet.

Also on the table was the Parma Pizza, which was a regular pizza pie with tomato sauce and mozzarella, topped with prosciutto and arugula. Again, the pizza was very good. The crust was thin and there was a perfect amount of sauce with an adequate amount of prosciutto. They went wild with arugula though. Too much in my opinion. But overall, the pizza did not blow me away.

I did enjoy my meal, and would certainly go back. But if I was looking for a restaurant with an innovative and exciting menu, Vento would not be on the top of my list.


Vento Trattoria
675 Hudson Street
(at 14th Street)
(212) 699-2400

No comments: