Thursday, March 26, 2009

Just Stop

Scaffolding never made me stop.

It only made me run in fact, generally for cover during New York's rainy days. But earlier this afternoon, on my way home from work, I decided to stop. I was on my way to my favorite Chelsea dive, The King's Head Bar on West 23rd Street and 10th Avenue. Along the way, I found myself slowing down just one block away, on West 23rd Street between 9th and 10th avenues. And there it was. Something that made me stop.

Outside of the London Terrace Gardens apartment complex is a different type of scaffolding. A pleasant type, that makes you enjoy and realize the beauty of renovation and restoration. Instead of the typical white banner plastered with posters about magazine or unknown musicians, the scaffolding around this building was different. It was art.

One panel in particular caught my attention. It was a profile of a woman done completely in black and white, which was very reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Initially I thought that she was smoking from a long cigarette holder, but in actuality she was blowing smoke from the palm of her hand. And within the smoke were large ants, crawling about. Strange, I know. But captivating.

Never had their been a single piece of scaffolding that made me stop and realize that art is everywhere, constantly surrounding me, and in a neighborhood where art reigns supreme, the scaffolding bridges the gap between the art world and the real world.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Oh snap, who beat The New York Times? I did! Below is the link to an article that appeared in the Times on March 27, 2009.

Converting Chelsea Scaffolds Into Art