Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hey Chelsea, did you know…?

When I signed my lease for my apartment back in November, I really did not know anything about Chelsea. In fact, all that I knew was that Dorothy and all of her friends would be there to greet me, with arms wide open. Besides that? Not much at all.

Well, all of that changed when I decided to explore my new neighborhood, with my friend Alfred, a professional tour guide with 19 years experience, who allowed me to follow him on one of his walking tours through Chelsea. Despite the fact that it took place over three hours, during one of the worst rainstorms that I can remember, I truly did learn a lot.

For example, did you know that before it became New York’s rainbow capital, Chelsea was once the capital of red America? Located on 23rd Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues, was the headquarters of the Communist Party of the United States of America. What is it today? A pet supply store.

And just across the street was the infamous Hotel Chelsea, where Sir Arthur C. Clarke wrote my favorite novel, “2001: A Space Odyssey.”

What else happened in Chelsea?

Did you know that French singer Edith Piaf was married in 1952 at the Saint Vincent de Paul Church on 23rd Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues. And who was her matron of honor?

“Piaf asked her best friend, Marlene Dietrich, to be the matron,” said my guide Alfred.

I was also informed that the original headquarters of my mecca was located at 17th Street and Seventh Avenue:
“In 1923, Barney Pressman pawned his wife’s engagement ring for $500 in order to lease a small store on 17th and Seventh Avenue,” said Alfred. “He built that into the 200,000 square foot flagship store of Barneys New York.”

Which unfortunately closed in 1996 when the company filed for bankruptcy, and is now home to the Rubin Museum of Art.

At first, I was not sure if I would get anything out of the tour, but was I ever wrong! Yes, it was long. Yes, it was raining, and yes, by the end, I was soaked. But, yes, it was worth it.

For more information, please call (212) 979-2388.

No comments: