Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Jean-Georges

Well, I don't even know where to begin. First of all, I need to apologize to all of my readers (hah) for not posting in over a month. My bad! I'm currently on a flight to Florida, where I am heading to a family wedding. I had nothing else to do, so I figured that I must must must update you all (double hah) on my recent culinary experiences. Mainly restaurant week.

I only went to one initially, but as soon as it was extended due to the terrible economic crisis that has swept across the United States, I decided to try another...

(oh, and I went to the Tribeca Grill, but it was actually too boring to write about... sorry Robert DeNiro!)

Spice Market

I started off going to Spice Market in the Meatpacking District, in order to add a little Jean-Georges Vongerichten class to my life. As soon as we arrived I was impressed, yet disappointed by the decor. Yes, it's elaborate. But, I thought it was a little over the top. I mean honestly, it looked like what Disney would have done if they had made Thailand a country at Epcot. And the uniforms were similar. Very Epcotesque. However, everyone wearing the uniforms was, well to be honest, gorgeous. I would have willingly taken any of them home in a doggy bad. Even the women. Everyone had amazing bodies, perfectly tanned skin, and were just really really... hot. Grrrrr.

I went on a Sunday evening for lunch with my best friend from high school, Kelly. And in true Beau-and-Kelly fashion, we ordered booze as soon as we sat down. They were delicious, but to be honest, I don't really remember what I had since this was a few weeks bad. I had some sort of margarita and she had some sort of ginger mojito. So, let's just skip booze and we'll discuss food!

At Spice Market for Restaurant Week we were presented with a bento box filled with delicious goodies. I began with the butternut squash soup, topped with a spoonful of cream and ginger pumpkin seeds. I have to say, the soup was fantastic. On it's own, it would have still be divine, but with the crunchiness and the delicacy of the ginger, it really made the soup out of this world. The butternut squash was just the right consistency. Not too thick. But not too watery. I always hate ordering butternut squash soup because I always find the consistency to be off. Well, not at Spice Market.

In the next square, I found a salad made of sliced green papayas and apples, with candied ginger. Good. Nothing to write home about.

Then, beef skewers with a pistachio dipping sauce. Simply, but splendid. The beef was tender and moist, perfectly cooked in a delicious and somewhat spicy seasoning. They weren't too big that they became awkward as you tore them away from the skewer. But they weren't tiny either. They would have been ideal for Goldilocks. And the pistachio dipping sauce was to die for. Creamy and rich, yet tangy from the lime.

The final box contained one of my favorite fishes: striped bass, with wok fried cabbage. water chestnuts and cucumbers. On one end, it was simply too spicy. Way too much cayenne pepper. One the other end, the striped bass cooled my mouth as soon as I tasted it. As we both sat quietly trying to figure out what we thought about the the final box, I could see the expression on Kelly's face and knew that we were in accord: too spicy.

Dessert was amazing though! An outstanding Ovaltine kulfi, topped with caramelized bananas and popcorn, and a spiced milk chocolate sauce. I don't even know where to begin. I know that if I attempt to describe how amazing they are, I will not be able to do it justice! Go! Eat!

Overall, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed my first Jean-Georges experience. However, my second one was far superior....

Information:
403 W. 13th Street
(at Ninth Avenue)
New York, NY 10014
(212) 675-2322


The Mercer Kitchen

One Friday afternoon, when I was supposed to be at work, I traveled to the Kitchen with my roommate Nina for lunch. Again, the booze was very good, but I don't really remember what I had. Tear. Like last time, I'll get right to the food.

I started off with a salad. Well, to clall it a salad would be inappropriate because it was so amazing that I am still trying to make it on my own at home. Unsuccessfully of course. But hey, at least I'm trying. On a bed of mixed greens, there were avocado slices, tiny mushroom slices, and tomato slices. Placed on top were several large steamed shrimp. On then drizzled all over the salad was a champagne vinaigrette, and cracked black pepper. Basically, sex in salad form. A. MAZE. ING. The smooth creamy avocado blended with the steamed shrimp perfectly, which then blended perfect with the dressing, which was a slightly more tart version of a vinaigrette. My mouth is watering as I think about it.

From there, nothing could be better. Sorry, Jean-Georges. It was all downhill.

Well, not downhill, but that was a damn good salad, and in my mind nothing could possibly beat it. But next, they brought out a delicious slider, topped with avocado and pepperjack, with a side order of french fries. The slider was average. Delicious beef, great cheese, excellent choice of toppings, but the bun was overly greasy, and well, when you think of Jean-Georges, you think of haute cuisine. This was haute Five Guys. In fact, I think I'd rather a Five Guys burger than a slider from the Kitchen. Sorry, Jean-Georges!

He made up for it in the end though, with a warm "Valhrona" chocolate cake, with a warm chocolate inside, and topped with vanilla ice cream. The warm, gooey chocolate covered all over my plate as I cute into it, and when mixed with the ice cold vanilla, it was a comfortable combination. Comfortable in a good, delicious, sitting-at-home-with-your-family-on-a-cold-winter's-day sort of way.

The Mercer Kitchen was definitely worth it. In addition to the salad, the atmosphere is just so New York, which I love. It's trendy and chic, yet comfortable. The decor has plenty of wood and steel, clean lines, and just feels like the perfect New York kitchen. The staff is friendly (and gorgeous). The people are trendy (and gorgeous). And come on, it always sounds classy when you can turn to your vastly inferior friends, and say, "Oh, guess who I saw the other day at the Mercer Kitchen..."

Information:
99 Prince Street
(at Mercer Street)
New York, NY 10012
(212) 966-5454

No comments: